Catered events where alcoholic beverages are served to pre-paid guests, require a state issued social permit.

If the organization operates solely for civic, religious, educational, charitable, fraternal, social or recreational purposes, and not for private gain, they may apply for a Special Permit to serve alcoholic beverages at a fund-raising event.

If the organization is granted a social permit, the permit must be posted at the event for alcoholic beverages to be served.  If the organization is not a Rutgers University organization the liability insurance documents must be supplied to the catering office prior to the event.

The application can be found at

The application requires the following signatures:

  • The clerk of the municipality where the event is to be held
  • Executive Director of Dining Services – Mr. Joseph Charette

If any of these requirements are not met, alcoholic beverages cannot be served at the event.